We celebrated the 175th Anniversary of our historic adobe last Saturday, September 28th, and we even had a proper birthday cake to commemorate the occasion!
Cutting the RLC 175th birthday cake are (L-R): Rick Alsagoff (board member), Barbara Bixby Blackwell (board member), Susan Wise (board chair), Craig Carter (board member), Councilmember Al Austin, Jean Bixby Smith (board member), and Alison Bruesehoff (Executive Director). (Photo taken by Howard Freshman) A formal proclamation from Long Beach City Council was also presented to RLC during this event by Councilmember Austin.
The day also included tours of the house (including sneak peeks of two brand new rooms opening in 2020), live music, live painting, a youth art contest, food, drink, and the reception of participants from the 2nd Annual Ranchos Walk.
Special thanks to all of our RLC volunteers and other organizations and businesses who also helped make the day extra special:
- Bernie Pearl Blues Band and Long Beach Poly Jazz Combo for their live performances during the event
- Copeland Holt for live-painting the historic adobe during the event
- Liberation Brewing, Dutch’s Brewhouse, and Willmore for comprising our “Brewery Knolls” beverage area
- Primal Alchemy Catering for their special 175th Anniversary menu offerings
- A Touch of Light for serving complimentary cake to attendees
- Eric Almanza, Steve Fawley, Amanda Fruta, Jorge Mujica, Solimar Salas, and Griselda Suarez for judging the “My Long Beach” Youth Art Contest.
- And of course our fabulous team of RLC volunteers!
Congratulations to our My Long Beach Youth Art Contest winners; 7 and under category winner Zahara, 8 to 9-year-old category winner Sydney, 10 and up category winner Preston, grand prize winner Nava, and people’s choice winner Jackson. The winning art work will be on display in our Visitor’s Center through October.
We would not have had such a successful event without all of your contributions!
And last but absolutely not least… thank you to those of you who attended after completing the Ranchos Walk or otherwise joined us for a day of celebration!
Thank you again to everyone who joined us for this milestone event (double thanks to those who braved the rain) – cheers to 175 more years at RLC!