Jobs and Internships
Rancho Los Cerritos is committed to the mission of restoring and preserving its historic home and gardens and bringing stories of the past — from Native American times through the 1940s — to the public.
Located in the beautiful Virginia Country Club area of Long Beach, the Rancho provides a collaborative and exciting work environment. Join us in uncovering the roots of Long Beach!
Rancho Los Cerritos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Maintenance and Facilities Manager
Hours: Part-time, 30 hours/week (weekdays with some evenings and weekends), partial benefits
Salary: $20-$25, depending on experience
Position Description: The Maintenance and Facilities Manager performs regular maintenance and repair of historic structures and the overall site.
The Maintenance and Facilities Manager performs initial diagnostics, service, repairs, and ensures the smooth daily operation of the facilities while maintaining a safe environment for visitors and staff. The Maintenance and Facilities Manager will supervise facility contractors and interface with other employees to coordinate projects, work carefully in a museum environment and perform a variety of tasks both collaboratively and individually. The Facilities and Maintenance department is a one-person department so the person for the position must be self-motivated and be able to schedule and complete numerous tasks with minimal oversight. This is a hands-on position that requires attention to detail as well as physical demands.
This is a 30 hour a week position and there are some early mornings to meet with vendors as well as weekend and evening work to support events and tend to systems emergencies. The position works closely with all staff particularly the Executive Director, Curator, Executive Assistant, Horticulturalist, Special Events Coordinator and Custodian.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops with the Executive Director, Curator and Facilities & Maintenance Committee a site-wide facility assessment for the long-term care and management of the site. And is required to attend the quarterly facilities and maintenance meetings.
- Maintains a prioritized list of maintenance needs and follows a maintenance schedule. Maintains detailed files on projects involving construction, replacement, systems, and fixtures.
- Conducts site survey of all structures quarterly, noting improvements as well as defects and maintenance requirements. Works with the Curator on maintaining a cyclical maintenance plan for the site.
- Performs routine maintenance, schedules contractual preventative maintenance and repair as necessary, and supervises contractors and vendors in a manner sensitive to the role and significance of a historic site.
- Adheres to recognized building codes and museum standards.
- Calculates material and labor costs for maintenance projects. Develops purchase estimates for grounds and building maintenance and orders parts and supplies once they have been approved. Meet with vendors to determine the scope of work for special projects.
- Develops the yearly maintenance and preservation budget.
- Sets up and breaks down for lectures, events, classes, exhibition openings, meetings, and other events in the buildings and on the grounds. Open and closes the buildings and the site for events.
- Maintains and tracks work order requests and fulfillments. Fulfills work order requests within a 2-week timeframe.
- Compiles information necessary to ensure all site-specific documentation and reports are completed accurately and on time, including (and as applicable): Infrastructure Manual, Operations Manual, Vendor Certificates of Insurance, As-built Drawings, and other reports and documentation as required.
- Monitors, maintains, and sets environmental controls to adhere to required Museum specifications for the HVAC systems.
- Maintains the exteriors of the structures including cobwebs maintenance, caulking, repairs etc.
- Works with Executive Assistant on obtaining all necessary cleaning and maintenance equipment and supplies.
- Develops and maintains an integrated pest management system working with the Horticulturalist.
- Maintains fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, and elevator and keeps records of their maintenance.
- Maintains the three offsite storage units.
- Empties the trash cans on a multi-day basis
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Two to five years Facilities Maintenance experience.
- Experience with museums and/or historic buildings maintenance is desirable, but not necessary.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, climb ladders, reach, carry objects and crawl in confined areas.
- Must be able to work inside and outside in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to push, pull, lift, carry or maneuver weights of up to twenty-five (25) pounds independently and fifty (50) pounds with assistance.
- Must be able to work a flexible work schedule, which includes taking ‘calls’ during evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Local travel is required in this job and the applicant needs to have a vehicle to use.
- Must be comfortable using email, text, and cell phone.
- Must be willing to be hands-on
THE MUSEUM: Rancho Los Cerritos Foundation operates Rancho Los Cerritos Historic Site in a private-public partnership with the City of Long Beach. Interpreting rural lifestyles and economic development in Southern California between the 1840s and 1940s, the museum encompasses an 1844 Monterey Colonial style adobe on 4.7 acres of land and includes a visitor center and research library. Open hours are Wednesday through Sunday from 1:00-5:00 p.m. for public tours, with school tours, special events, and programs offered throughout the year.
To Apply: Qualified applicants can e-mail cover letter and current resume by 5:00 pm on May 29, 2019 to JanS@RanchoLosCerritos.org or mail these documents to Jan Shafer, Executive Director, Rancho Los Cerritos Foundation, 4600 Virginia Road, Long Beach, CA 90807. No phone calls, please.
If you would like to apply for one of our listed internships (if any are currently offered), please send us an email with your resume and cover letter, along with the name of the position you are applying for. Thanks!