Notice Regarding Covid-19
Highlights as of 6/1:
We are reopening on June 10th, reserve your free ticket to visit here
New extended Summer hours on Saturdays, 9 am to 7 pm
We will continue to offer you online content
We will continue to update this page with the latest information. Please direct all questions concerning our response to Covid-19 to Rancho@rancholoscerritos.org
Rancho Los Cerritos’ Reopening Plan
Click below to open in PDF format.
Rancho Los Cerritos has been working closely with the City of Long Beach to ensure that we are following all guidelines to protect the health of our visitors, staff, volunteers, and neighbors in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic.
As of March 19th, the gardens had remained open even as our historic adobe home and visitor center closed earlier last week. Our hope was to be able to keep our green spaces open and welcoming for visitors as long as possible as a place of respite, rejuvenation, and for a sense of community during this difficult time. But, given the escalating spread of the virus and the State of California Safer at Home emergency order regarding the need to practice safe distancing, the Rancho has determined it necessary and appropriate to close the entire site as well as the gardens through May 15, or until further notice.
Although the Rancho is now closed through May 15, or until further notice, the work of Rancho Los Cerritos and our mission to preserve and protect our history continues. We have transitioned all staff to telecommuting and will continue to pay all employees, salaried and hourly, in full during this period.
The Rancho team is working to prepare digital content and online programming. As you check the Rancho’s website and social media platforms in the coming weeks, you and your families can stay engaged with Rancho Los Cerritos at home by:
- Downloading our Long Ago Long Beach activity books designed for ages 6-12 with step by step instructional youtube videos to come! Although the Rancho was deeply disappointed to postpone onsite learning, we are very excited to launch the digital version of our award-winning afterschool outreach program and make learning local history fun and accessible for every child for the first time ever. A special thanks to the Miller Foundation and the Munzer Foundation for their continued support of this program. We look forward to sharing with them how we continued to engage with students during this difficult time.
- Virtually visiting our most recent exhibit Tevaaxa’nga (Te-vaah-ha-nga) to Today: Stories of the Tongva People now available online
- Taking a Virtual Tour of the Rancho Adobe Home through this cutting-edge pilot walkthrough tour developed to make our upstairs spaces accessible to all visitors.
- Learning about our Gardens with a series of videos hosted by our Horticulturist and Green Space Expert Marie Barnidge McIntyre.
- And as always, following us on social media for new and uplifting daily content @RanchoLosCerritos on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
The lessons of history have taught us that even during the most difficult times, we must protect and treasure our cultural institutions. Rancho Los Cerritos staff will continue to work to bring the historic voice of the diverse people who shaped Southern California to life for our community so that we can continue to share their stories well into the future.
We encourage you and your loved ones to continue to follow the necessary safety and hygiene precautions that will help to care for your neighbors, family, and friends.
For the most up-to-date information on Covid-19, please look to these agencies:
- Long Beach Health and Human Services Department
- Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- California Department of Public Health
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
We appreciate your understanding and your ongoing support. Remember this is only a temporary closure, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the historic site. We are wishing you all good health, and we hope to see you soon.
If you are hosting a private event on our site
As an event venue, we want your private event at Rancho Los Cerritos to be a safe and positive experience. Our team will reach out to you privately about changes to your event, if necessary. Should you or your organization wish to reschedule we will strive to be as flexible as possible and work with you to choose a new available date. Our hearts go out to all individuals and organizations that have been impacted by Covid-19.
For any questions or concerns please contact Mallory Rydell at 562-206-2055 or at Malloryr@rancholoscerritos.org.