Mud Mania: A Celebration of Adobe
July 14 @ 12:30 pm - 4:30 pm$5 – $7
Make real adobe bricks, plaster the horno, construct a mini-adobe home, compete in mud relay races, and much more — all while learning about Southern California’s rich history!
Adobe is one of the oldest building materials. Traditionally sun-dried, adobe blocks made of sand, clay, water, and straw were used to construct the home at Rancho Los Cerritos back in 1844. At Mud Mania, visitors can learn all about building homes with adobe bricks.
Mud-themed activities include digging through the adobe soil in our archaeology lab, seeing and touching insects that live in the local soil, throwing a clay pot, and playing mud-related games. For those who prefer to stay neat and tidy, activities including fossil-making, Mud Mania trivia, and paper crafts. Live bluegrass music by GRASSLANDS, Southern California Bluegrass will accompany the fun.
The fine print:
- Admission includes access to all of the festival’s activities. Food and drinks will be available for purchase.
- Free parking is located in the lot across from our entrance. Handicapped parking is also available.
- This event will be a messy, good time! Wear clothes for outdoor play and bring a towel. We also suggest you bring a change of clothes and towels for the ride home.
- Shoes are required, except in the mud pit.
- “De-mudding” stations will be available.
- For your safety and enjoyment, large groups of 7+ children should have at least two adults in their party.
- Tickets are transferable to another individual but not refundable.
Thank you to our sponsors!