- This event has passed.
Mud Mania: A Celebration of Adobe
July 14, 2019 @ 12:30 pm - 4:30 pm$5 – $7
Attendees may buy tickets at the door or online (online sales will end at 11:00 am on 7/14/19).
Make real adobe bricks, plaster the horno, construct a mini-adobe home, compete in mud relay races, and much more — all while learning about Southern California’s rich history!
Adobe is one of the oldest building materials on earth. These sun-dried bricks are traditionally made of adobe soil (which is rich with clay content), water, sand, and straw. Built for John Temple in 1844, the Rancho Los Cerritos adobe – which took approximately 20,000 adobe bricks to build – is now 175 years old! At Mud Mania, visitors can learn all about building with adobe bricks.
Mud-themed activities include panning for gold, digging through the adobe soil in our archaeology land, learning about the insects that live in the soil, throwing a clay pot, and running a mud relay. For those who prefer to stay neat and tidy, activities including fossil-making, Mud Mania trivia, and paper crafts. Live bluegrass music by GRASSLANDS, Southern California Bluegrass will accompany the fun.
The fine print:
- Admission includes access to all of the festival’s activities. Food and drinks will be available for purchase.
- Free parking is located in the lot across from our entrance. Handicapped parking is also available.
- This event will be a messy, good time! Wear clothes for outdoor play and bring a towel. We also suggest you bring a change of clothes and towels for the ride home.
- Shoes are required, except in the mud pit.
- “De-mudding” stations will be available.
- For your safety and enjoyment, large groups of 7+ children should have at least two adults in their party.
- Tickets are transferable to another individual but not refundable.
- New members, please call Sue Kroger if you have not received your complimentary tickets to this event: 562-206-2040.
Thank you to our sponsors!