Mud Mania: A Celebration of Adobe
July 12 @ 12:30 pm - 4:30 pmFree – $7
Attendees may buy tickets at the door or online. Adult (18+) tickets are $7. Child (3-17) Tickets are $5.
Make real adobe bricks, plaster the horno, construct a mini-adobe home, and much more — all while learning about Southern California’s rich history!
Adobe is one of the oldest building materials on earth. These sun-dried bricks are traditionally made of adobe soil (which is rich with clay content), water, sand, and straw. Built for John Temple in 1844, the Rancho Los Cerritos adobe – which took approximately 20,000 adobe bricks to build – is now over 175 years old! At Mud Mania, visitors can learn all about building with adobe bricks.
Mud-themed activities include panning for gold, digging through the adobe soil in our archaeology land, learning about what lives in the soil, throwing a clay pot, and a mud pit. For those who prefer to stay neat and tidy, activities including fossil-making, Mud Mania trivia, and papercrafts. Live music will accompany the fun.
What to Wear/Bring:
This event will be a messy, good time!
- Wear clothes for outdoor play and bring a towel. We also suggest you bring a change of clothes and towels for the ride home.
- This is an outdoor event that will happen rain or shine.
- Shoes are required, except in the mud pit.
- “De-mudding” stations will be available. However, there are no showers on site. Please do not use the restroom sinks as a shower.
- Free parking is located in the lot across from our entrance.
- Limited handicapped parking is also available.
- Parking is available on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Tickets are required for all guests age three and older.
- Admission includes access to all of the festival’s activities. Food and drinks will be available for purchase.
- Tickets are transferable to another individual but not refundable.
- Members, you are entitled to a number of complimentary admissions based on your membership level.