- This event has passed.
Mud Mania: A Celebration of Adobe
July 8, 2018 @ 12:30 pm - 4:30 pm$5 – $7
Please pay with cash or card at the door.
Make real adobe bricks, plaster the horno, construct a mini-adobe home, compete in mud relay races, and much more — all while learning about Southern California’s rich history!
Adobe is one of the oldest building materials. Traditionally sun-dried, adobe blocks made of sand, clay, water, and straw were used to construct the home at Rancho Los Cerritos back in 1844. At Mud Mania, visitors can learn all about building homes with adobe bricks.
Mud-themed activities include digging through the adobe soil in our archaeology lab, seeing and touching insects that live in the local soil, throwing a clay pot, and playing mud-related games. For those who prefer to stay neat and tidy, activities including fossil-making, Mud Mania trivia, and paper crafts. Live bluegrass music will accompany the fun.
Please note: ALL visitors need tickets, including adults.
The fine print:
- Admission includes access to all of the festival’s activities. Food and drinks will be available for purchase.
- Guests at Mud Mania are required to park in the overflow lot across from our entrance or on the street; carpooling is desirable.
- No more than six children per adult, please.
- Shoes are required, except in the mud pit, and guests are encouraged to wear old clothes and bring a towel plus a change of attire for the ride home.
- “De-mudding” stations will also be available for limited clean up; showers will not be available.
- Tickets are transferable but not refundable.
Thank you to our sponsors!