Important Dates In The History Of Rancho Los Cerritos
Please use your mouse or finger to slide the timeline to the right to see the evolution of Rancho Los Cerritos.
2000-3000 BC Native Americans live on lands that become Rancho Los Cerritos. Little is known about these peoples, however, eleven cogged stones from this period were discovered at Rancho Los Cerritos in 1930.
500-1769 Tongva people (Gabrielino Indians) live on lands later known as Rancho Los Cerritos; village of Tibahangna said to be north of present ranch house.
1784-90 Spanish soldier Manuel Nieto receives land encompassing about 300,000 acres; this is reduced to 167,000 acres
1834 Nieto’s land is formally divided into smaller ranchos. Daughter Manuela de Cota receives the 27,000-acre portion known as Rancho Los Cerritos
1843 John Temple purchases Rancho Los Cerritos from the Cota family in December 1843 for $3,000
1844 John Temple builds the present two-story Monterey-style adobe as headquarters for his cattle-ranching operations, and stocks the land with as many as 15,000 head of cattle
1853 Benjamin and Thomas Flint, and Lewellyn Bixby, form Flint, Bixby & Co. and bring sheep to California
1866 John Temple sells Rancho Los Cerritos to Flint, Bixby & Co.
1881 Jotham Bixby provides lease with option to buy of 4000 acres to William Willmore for the founding of a town, Willmore City, and agricultural community
1884 William Willmore is unsuccessful in promoting his town, but the Long Beach Land and Water Company purchases his option and renames the town Long Beach
1887 Long Beach is incorporated
1930-31 Rancho Los Cerritos is remodeled by Llewellyn Bixby, Sr. for a family residence
1955 Rancho Los Cerritos is acquired by the City of Long Beach and opened to the public as a museum
1970 Rancho Los Cerritos is placed on the National Register of Historic Properties and is also designated a National Historic Landmark
1979 Rancho Los Cerritos is designated a City of Long Beach Historical Landmark
1988 Rancho Los Cerritos is designated State Historic Landmark No. 978